Family

Family

Sunday, August 30, 2015

1 Down and 1 to Go

As many of you know, I (Jacob) have been working the past few years on a Masters in Physical Education and coaching. Though I am qualified to teach PE, it was mostly for a pay raise and the information in coaching.  The degree has been through Utah State and it consisted of going to Orem and sitting in a room by myself and watching the professor teach on TV. If I wanted to talk to the class I could push a button and talk to everyone.  I went every Monday night for 2 years from 5:15 to about 10 PM at night.  It would make some long days especially during basketball coaching as I would leave at 6:30 in the morning and go all the way through until getting home after class.

The whole process has been an interesting one as I have only met 3 of my professors in person and 2 of those I met the day that I defended my masters project.  I actually never went to Logan until the day that I walked for my degree but I officially was not done until my defense.  I did not have to do a thesis but instead had to create a project.  The project that I created was about implementing physical activity into the core classes and ended up being one long 70 page creation.  Overall though I survived.  The day that I defended I walked in and knew that I was going to be fine when 2 of the 3 professors had shorts, t shirts and sandals on and the other one was wearing blue jeans and a t-shirt.  I guess that is what I get with a PE and Coaching program.

Below is a family picture from my first time on campus as an Aggie.


Now the reason for the 1 to Go is the fact that I am into a 2nd degree as well. It is a Masters of Education Administration from the University of Phoenix. My degree will turn out to be only a licence though and not a full masters as I already have a masters in an education field. I am in my 2nd class of the program and I really like it.

I was worried about it as I know the stigma about the University of Phoenix but it is actually an in person degree.  I go every Thursday (might change to Tuesdays) and have 1 class at a time from 6 until 10.  The classes are 6 weeks long and I am with a cohort of students.  There are a total of 7 students which makes it really fun and interesting.  The best part is that all of the professors are current principals and so they certainly come in with great stories and scenarios to learn from.

This program is MUCH more intensive than the Utah State one as I have class each week, much more homework and 450 internship hours to do in a year.  So I am doing many hours after school which actually is a lot of fun.

Overall, it has been a sacrifice by the family but things are going well and we are enjoying the ride. One day when I am in charge of a couple thousand students, the schooling will all pay off.

No comments:

Post a Comment